Who's been to the Ballet?

Cmon , hands up, how many of you have ever been to the ballet? I mean the REAL ballet, the English Royal Ballet at that!   No , me neither b...

Cmon , hands up, how many of you have ever been to the ballet? I mean the REAL ballet, the English Royal Ballet at that! 



 No , me neither but I thought it was about time I should and seeing as I am on a journey of enlightenment , me and a friend ventured to the London Colosseum recently to witness for ourselves exactly what we had been missing all these years. 
Le Corsairre ( The Pirate) is based very loosely on a poem by Lord Byron from about 1856 ! And it has, I believe been revised many many times.  It is a silly story about Pirates, skull duggery, love, betrayal, poisoned roses and there is even a shipwreck scene.
The pace of the ballet is fast fast fast and the scene sets are truly dream like, resembling a cross between an Arabian night fantasy and Alladin with glamorous slave girls ( resembling Princess Jasmine)
In sparkly, shimmering costumes.
Which just brings me to the dancing itself. OMG. The first word that comes to me, after OMG, is RESPECT. The stage presence of the main characters is outstanding and their talent is just unreal.  What they must go through to achieve a standard of excellence like theirs is enviable and mind blowing. No wonder, this performance has 2 intervals.  Boy, do they need it! I have never seen dancers so in control of their movements, yet so lost in their dancing. 
We truly enjoyed our experience and yes, it was an education. Would I go to the ballet again? I certainly would. 
Essential viewing? Probably not but what an antidote to January gloom! :)))))))


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images